*STUFFED PIZZA POCKETS
· 1 t. yeast
· 1 t. sugar
· 3/4 c. warm water
· 1/4 c. olive oil
· 1/2 t. salt
· 1/2 t. Italian seasoning
· 2-3 c. flour
Use Pizza Toppings you like. Here’s what I use!
· Pizza Sauce (I just use Prego Traditional Sauce, and it tastes great!)
· mozzarella cheese
· Canadian bacon
· Chopped onion
· Chopped Green Pepper
· 2 T. butter or margarine, melted
· Optional topping: 2 t. Parmesan cheese, 1/2 t. each garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt
1. Let yeast and sugar dissolve in warm water in a large mixing bowl for about 5 minutes. Add olive oil, 1/2 t. salt and 1/2 t. Italian seasoning. Slowly add the flour until completely combined and dough is no longer sticky. Knead for 5 minutes, place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
2. On a floured surface, roll dough into a large rectangle. Cut dough into 4 fat rectangles. (The end up being about 4 inches x 12 inches.) On one half of each, place desired pizza toppings starting with sauce, and layering as you desire. Bring the two ends together and seal sides. Be sure to seal well to cut down on cheese melting out during the baking process. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat until done.
3. Drizzle or brush melted butter or margarine over each stuffed pizza stick. If desired, combine the optional topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. I also like to dip mine in the warmed Prego sauce. Enjoy!
*The original recipe was for mini stuffed bread sticks, but I just made big ones instead with my favorite pizza toppings. Basically They are pockets or calzones, but the dough is so yummy, so that’s why I used this recipe! These would make yummy bread sticks too if you don't want to stuff them!
Recipe Makes 4 Large Pizza Pockets